August 08, 2014
Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea
In ancient Japan, green tea was considered a medicine due to its known health benefits at the time. It was also something Buddhism monks used during their meditation for its calming effects. Modern science has confirmed these Japanese beliefs in green tea. Many scholars around the world have studied the health benefits of green tea and found the following:
Health Substance Inside of Green Tea
Green tea has many amazing nutrients and substances and the following will be some of the major substances/compounds:
1. Catechin. This substance is type of polyphenol that is said to have powerful antioxidant effect. It has four type of Catechin: EC, EGC, ECG, and EGCG. The EGCGs are considered the most powerful antioxidant within the four types.
2. Vitamins. Green tea is especially abundant in Vitamin C. If you take the green tea in powder type, three servings will be equivalent to one apple. Also the organic compound beta-carotene (vitamin A precursor) is also abundant close to one serving of orange juice.
3. Theanine. It is an unique amino acid that is said to have potential ability to reduce mental and physical stress and provides a calm alertness.
Health Benefits of Green Tea
There are many scholars around the world who are experimenting the health benefits of green tea. Some of these benefits are still being debated, so if you plan to use for medical purpose please consult your physician.
1. Prevents Cancer. The powerful antioxidant substance, the EGCGs, are said to prevent the development of cancer cells. There are many experiment that shows that the people who takes green tea has a low possibility of getting cancer.
2. Lowers Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure, and Cholesterol. There is an enzyme that triggers the high blood pressure called the enzyme renin. Catechin has the effect to prevent this enzyme renin to raise the blood pressure. It will also lower bad cholesterol, which makes the ratio of good and bad cholesterol more favorable for the health.
3. Boosts Metabolism. Catechin also is said to have the effect to boost metabolism and reduce the absorption of fat.
4. Relaxation. The combination of theanine and caffeine has the effect to give alert calmness.
5. Natural Deodorizer. The Catechin is said to provide antibacterial effect and eliminates odor. In Japan, used tea leaves are recommended to use as a natural air refresher.
6. Aids Fight for Dementia. Catechin protects from nerves system which leads to aids for dementia.
7. Tooth Decay. The antibacterial effect will protects from cavities and other dental issues.
8. Skin Care. The antioxidant effect from Catechin and vitamin C will protect you from aging skin. In Japan, some beauty magazines recommend to drink green tea for its skin care benefits and health benefits.
Health Experiment Done with Green Tea
We put together a chart that sums up the major experiment that was done.
>>See Green Tea Powder Products
>>See Green Tea Loose Leaf Products
>>See Japanese Tea Pot Kyusu
*DISCLAIMER. We are not recommending green tea as a cure or remedy for any health ailments. Please consult your physician for any medical problems you may be experiencing. We seek to source current and accurate information for your general knowledge. If you know of any additional informative resources, please contact us.
Today we would like to review one of our tea pot kyusu, Sakuraso. It is named Sakuraso because it has the design of the flower called Sakuraso. This tea pot is relatively small and has the amount to make 0.85 cups.
The actual flower of the Sakuraso will be the shown below.
Traditional Arita Yaki Tea Pot
This tea pot is made by the pottery style called the Arita Yaki. This is a traditional style of pottery in Japan that has started out around 400 years ago. Of course, hand made with the handle on the side called “yokode” style in Japanese (“yoko” meaning side in Japanese).
The strainer/filter inside is called the obiami, which is built-in 360 degrees around the inside of tea pot.
Infuse Small Amount with High End Tea
This time we have used Organic sencha superior green tea to show how this tea pot infuses tea. It will be the best to use high grade tea with small amount of water. First we put one teaspoon of loose leaf tea inside the tea pot kyusu.
Add hot water (80C/176F) around 0.5-0.8 cups and infuse for one minute.
Smoothly Pours the Water
If you have two cups please pour it little by little to each cup alternatively. Maybe breaking it down in to 3 to 4 pours per cup may be just right. By breaking down the pouring into several times, it gives the water a chance to flow around inside the kyusu which will extract more flavor out of the tea leaf, so it is considered very important to break down the pouring. You will notice that this tea pot kyusu will let the water out real smoothly leaving no water dripping out.
Pour till the Last Drop and Enjoy!
When you pour out the tea from the kyusu, do not forget to pour out everything, until the last drop! The last drop is said to have the most umami (savory). Also to have tasty second rounds with the same tea leaf, it is important that every drop is out of the tea pot kyusu. If there is water left it will become very bitter and will get in the way of brewing great second infusions.
Thank you for reading to the end and hope you enjoyed. You will be able to purchase the tea pot and others from the following website.
If there are any questions please feel free to ask anytime. Thank you!
Leave a comment