May 09, 2014
Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea
In ancient Japan, green tea was considered a medicine due to its known health benefits at the time. It was also something Buddhism monks used during their meditation for its calming effects. Modern science has confirmed these Japanese beliefs in green tea. Many scholars around the world have studied the health benefits of green tea and found the following:
Health Substance Inside of Green Tea
Green tea has many amazing nutrients and substances and the following will be some of the major substances/compounds:
1. Catechin. This substance is type of polyphenol that is said to have powerful antioxidant effect. It has four type of Catechin: EC, EGC, ECG, and EGCG. The EGCGs are considered the most powerful antioxidant within the four types.
2. Vitamins. Green tea is especially abundant in Vitamin C. If you take the green tea in powder type, three servings will be equivalent to one apple. Also the organic compound beta-carotene (vitamin A precursor) is also abundant close to one serving of orange juice.
3. Theanine. It is an unique amino acid that is said to have potential ability to reduce mental and physical stress and provides a calm alertness.
Health Benefits of Green Tea
There are many scholars around the world who are experimenting the health benefits of green tea. Some of these benefits are still being debated, so if you plan to use for medical purpose please consult your physician.
1. Prevents Cancer. The powerful antioxidant substance, the EGCGs, are said to prevent the development of cancer cells. There are many experiment that shows that the people who takes green tea has a low possibility of getting cancer.
2. Lowers Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure, and Cholesterol. There is an enzyme that triggers the high blood pressure called the enzyme renin. Catechin has the effect to prevent this enzyme renin to raise the blood pressure. It will also lower bad cholesterol, which makes the ratio of good and bad cholesterol more favorable for the health.
3. Boosts Metabolism. Catechin also is said to have the effect to boost metabolism and reduce the absorption of fat.
4. Relaxation. The combination of theanine and caffeine has the effect to give alert calmness.
5. Natural Deodorizer. The Catechin is said to provide antibacterial effect and eliminates odor. In Japan, used tea leaves are recommended to use as a natural air refresher.
6. Aids Fight for Dementia. Catechin protects from nerves system which leads to aids for dementia.
7. Tooth Decay. The antibacterial effect will protects from cavities and other dental issues.
8. Skin Care. The antioxidant effect from Catechin and vitamin C will protect you from aging skin. In Japan, some beauty magazines recommend to drink green tea for its skin care benefits and health benefits.
Health Experiment Done with Green Tea
We put together a chart that sums up the major experiment that was done.
>>See Green Tea Powder Products
>>See Green Tea Loose Leaf Products
>>See Japanese Tea Pot Kyusu
*DISCLAIMER. We are not recommending green tea as a cure or remedy for any health ailments. Please consult your physician for any medical problems you may be experiencing. We seek to source current and accurate information for your general knowledge. If you know of any additional informative resources, please contact us.
Hello, my name is Yosuke, the owner of ShiZen Tea Store. I would like to start a series of tea notes to share some info about our products and some tea knowledge. The very first note will be about our Japanese Tea Pot Kyusu Takumi.
This is one of my favorite Japanese tea pot kyusu. It is the actual kyusu that our tea artisan in Shizuoka is using. This is made by a tea pottery style called Banko Yaki and is certified by the governement as the official Japanese traditional crafting. This traditional Banko Yaki originated from the Yokkaichi region of Mie Prefecture. It is famous for its temperature retaining iron-clay and functionality, and this iron-clay is said to absorb the bitterness of the tea which provides optimum tea results.
Made for High grade Sencha and Gyokuro
This type of kyusu is called Houhin, which is made predominantly for Gyokuro (Premium Japanese green tea) and High grade Sencha green tea. Houhin is said that for years of seeking the functionality to brew great teas, it had formed its current shape, the no handle tea pot. In Japan, really good teas are considered teas that have deep umami (savory), and in order to brew out the umami you need to brew it in warm water (water temperature under 180F). For that reason, Houhin that was made for high grade teas were brewed under warm water, so the handle was unnecessary. Although we would say that it will give the best results for high grade teas, we do use it for genmaicha and houjicha too, so please use it in any type of tea leaf and taste the difference by comparing it brewed by other tea pots.
Simple Structure: Built-in Strainer and No Handle
The strainer is built-in and there is no handle. When your pour, you will hold it by the side and hold the lid with your index finger when pouring. There is a little tea leaf on the side so you can also hold that part to pour the tea. When the teas are poured out you will smell the nice aroma and it will make a beautiful string of tea to your cup.
Great with Organic Sencha Superior Green Tea
I will recommend this for organic sencha superior green tea, but it will also suit any other types such as organic sencha, genmaicha, and houjicha. Please try it with warm water and you will get some of the best results you can get for Japanese green tea.
This pot is perfect for people who wants to make simply best flavored teas. It will be a small pot so I would say it will be best for serving one or two cups for one infusion. The more you use, the more traditional dark color will appear. Everything is of course handmade, and when you see the actual pot you will notice that the top lid fits perfectly and has very less space in between. This kind of perfect crafting is also the part of Japanese tea pottery.
Leave a comment