In ancient Japan, green tea was considered a medicine due to its known health benefits at the time. It was also something Buddhism monks used during their meditation for its calming effects. Modern science has confirmed these Japanese beliefs in green tea. Many scholars around the world have studied the health benefits of green tea and found the following:
Green tea has many amazing nutrients and substances and the following will be some of the major substances/compounds:
1. Catechin. This substance is type of polyphenol that is said to have powerful antioxidant effect. It has four type of Catechin: EC, EGC, ECG, and EGCG. The EGCGs are considered the most powerful antioxidant within the four types.
2. Vitamins. Green tea is especially abundant in Vitamin C. If you take the green tea in powder type, three servings will be equivalent to one apple. Also the organic compound beta-carotene (vitamin A precursor) is also abundant close to one serving of orange juice.
3. Theanine. It is an unique amino acid that is said to have potential ability to reduce mental and physical stress and provides a calm alertness.
There are many scholars around the world who are experimenting the health benefits of green tea. Some of these benefits are still being debated, so if you plan to use for medical purpose please consult your physician.
1. Prevents Cancer. The powerful antioxidant substance, the EGCGs, are said to prevent the development of cancer cells. There are many experiment that shows that the people who takes green tea has a low possibility of getting cancer.
2. Lowers Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure, and Cholesterol. There is an enzyme that triggers the high blood pressure called the enzyme renin. Catechin has the effect to prevent this enzyme renin to raise the blood pressure. It will also lower bad cholesterol, which makes the ratio of good and bad cholesterol more favorable for the health.
3. Boosts Metabolism. Catechin also is said to have the effect to boost metabolism and reduce the absorption of fat.
4. Relaxation. The combination of theanine and caffeine has the effect to give alert calmness.
5. Natural Deodorizer. The Catechin is said to provide antibacterial effect and eliminates odor. In Japan, used tea leaves are recommended to use as a natural air refresher.
6. Aids Fight for Dementia. Catechin protects from nerves system which leads to aids for dementia.
7. Tooth Decay. The antibacterial effect will protects from cavities and other dental issues.
8. Skin Care. The antioxidant effect from Catechin and vitamin C will protect you from aging skin. In Japan, some beauty magazines recommend to drink green tea for its skin care benefits and health benefits.
>>See Green Tea Powder Products
>>See Green Tea Loose Leaf Products
>>See Japanese Tea Pot Kyusu
*DISCLAIMER. We are not recommending green tea as a cure or remedy for any health ailments. Please consult your physician for any medical problems you may be experiencing. We seek to source current and accurate information for your general knowledge. If you know of any additional informative resources, please contact us.
There are many many teas in the world. Teas such as Black tea, Chinese tea, and Japanese green tea comes from the same tea leaf, the Camellia Sinensis. Depending on how you process and cultivate it, the tea will change to Black, Green, or Oolong tea.
1. Fermented or Not?
First major process that makes the crucial difference is if you ferment the tea leaf or not. If you do, it will become a Black Tea and if it’s half-fermented it will become Chinese Oolong/Pouchang Tea. If you do not ferment but steam it, it will become the Japanese green tea.
2. Shade Grown or Not?
As for the steamed tea leaf(Japanese green tea), if the teas are grown under the shade it will become Gyokuro, Kabusecha or Tencha, which is the loose leaf version of Matcha. These shade grown green teas are under the shade from 7-30 days before the harvest. Depending on the variety and the region, the period grown under the shade will vary.If it is grown under the sun, it will become the most commonly known green tea, the Sencha, Tama-ryokucha, and Bancha. In most case Bancha is used to make Houjicha and Genmaicha. Houjicha is a tea that has roasted the Bancha loose leaf, and the Genmaicha is a tea that is mixed with roasted brown rice and Sencha/Bancha.
3. So where does the ShiZen Tea fit in?
Our product fits under the following category:
– Matcha → Sakura Komachi
- Sencha Powder → Organic Green Tea Powder, Pesticide-Free Green Tea Powder
- Genmaicha Powder → Organic Genmaicha Powder
So you can see that Sakura Komachi is a tea that are grown under the shade, and Organic Green Tea Powder and Organic Genmaicha Powder are teas that are grown under the sun.
It is very interesting how the same type of tea leaf can change the teas so much depending on how it’s processed and cultivated. Hope you had a chance to learn something new:)
Thank you and enjoy your teas!
Subscribe to our newsletter and always be the first to hear about what is happening.
© 2021 ShiZen Tea.