March 07, 2017
Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea
In ancient Japan, green tea was considered a medicine due to its known health benefits at the time. It was also something Buddhism monks used during their meditation for its calming effects. Modern science has confirmed these Japanese beliefs in green tea. Many scholars around the world have studied the health benefits of green tea and found the following:
Health Substance Inside of Green Tea
Green tea has many amazing nutrients and substances and the following will be some of the major substances/compounds:
1. Catechin. This substance is type of polyphenol that is said to have powerful antioxidant effect. It has four type of Catechin: EC, EGC, ECG, and EGCG. The EGCGs are considered the most powerful antioxidant within the four types.
2. Vitamins. Green tea is especially abundant in Vitamin C. If you take the green tea in powder type, three servings will be equivalent to one apple. Also the organic compound beta-carotene (vitamin A precursor) is also abundant close to one serving of orange juice.
3. Theanine. It is an unique amino acid that is said to have potential ability to reduce mental and physical stress and provides a calm alertness.
Health Benefits of Green Tea
There are many scholars around the world who are experimenting the health benefits of green tea. Some of these benefits are still being debated, so if you plan to use for medical purpose please consult your physician.
1. Prevents Cancer. The powerful antioxidant substance, the EGCGs, are said to prevent the development of cancer cells. There are many experiment that shows that the people who takes green tea has a low possibility of getting cancer.
2. Lowers Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure, and Cholesterol. There is an enzyme that triggers the high blood pressure called the enzyme renin. Catechin has the effect to prevent this enzyme renin to raise the blood pressure. It will also lower bad cholesterol, which makes the ratio of good and bad cholesterol more favorable for the health.
3. Boosts Metabolism. Catechin also is said to have the effect to boost metabolism and reduce the absorption of fat.
4. Relaxation. The combination of theanine and caffeine has the effect to give alert calmness.
5. Natural Deodorizer. The Catechin is said to provide antibacterial effect and eliminates odor. In Japan, used tea leaves are recommended to use as a natural air refresher.
6. Aids Fight for Dementia. Catechin protects from nerves system which leads to aids for dementia.
7. Tooth Decay. The antibacterial effect will protects from cavities and other dental issues.
8. Skin Care. The antioxidant effect from Catechin and vitamin C will protect you from aging skin. In Japan, some beauty magazines recommend to drink green tea for its skin care benefits and health benefits.
Health Experiment Done with Green Tea
We put together a chart that sums up the major experiment that was done.
>>See Green Tea Powder Products
>>See Green Tea Loose Leaf Products
>>See Japanese Tea Pot Kyusu
*DISCLAIMER. We are not recommending green tea as a cure or remedy for any health ailments. Please consult your physician for any medical problems you may be experiencing. We seek to source current and accurate information for your general knowledge. If you know of any additional informative resources, please contact us.
Grinding Japanese Matcha Green Tea Powder
One of the most important elements of Japanese Matcha powder production is the grinding process. Even though high powered heat generating grinders are able to produce amazing quantities in a short amount of time, the traditional Japanese way of grinding with granite stone mill is still, till today, the best method to handle these high quality and delicate leaves.
About the process
Before learning about the grinding process, we must understand what leaves we are grinding. Matcha powder is made from the same plant as other green teas, black teas and even oolong teas. The only difference is a special process done several weeks prior to harvesting. Learn more about Matcha harvesting here.
After these leaves are dried, they go through another tedious process to remove the veins and stems. These leaves, usually referred to as Tencha leaves, are now ready for grinding.
Traditional Japanese granite stone mill
Made of stone, these granite stone mill are able to grind the Tencha leaves into very fine powder. Each granite stone mill can only produce up to 25g – 30g of premium Matcha powder every hour, that’s about the size of ONE packet of our Organic Matcha Superior Green Tea Powder 1.1 oz (30g). Grinding these Tencha leaves the proper way, slow as it may be, can preserve the color and flavor of these leaves.
Machine grinders VS Traditional Japanese granite stone mill
Japanese folk traditions, as interesting as it may be, is it really necessary to follow these steps to produce Matcha powder?
Sadly or gladly, the answer is YES!
After going through the tedious process of obtaining Tencha leaves, ruining them in the grinding process will be nothing short of a disaster. High powered grinders, or machine grinders, are able to produce high quantities in a short time but, they will generate a significant amount of heat in the process. This heat will cause the Matcha powder to lose some of it's natural aroma in the process. On the other hand, traditional Japanese granite stone mills goes through a rather slow process of grinding the Tencha leaves without burning them out, producing high quality Matcha powder that retains it's nutrients, along with it's incomparable aroma and flavor.
Hope you enjoyed this article.
If you will like to try this amazing Japanese Matcha powder, click here.
If there are any questions please feel free to ask anytime. Thank you!
Leave a comment